Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Mo Joose

Some people have asked me about how to get on the Joost beta, other than signing up and waiting for an invite I don't have any idea if there is a shortcut.

On a different topic, DIVX is up 20% in the after hours. Here are my best calls of the year:

MGO - called at 4.30, now at 6.39 :))
EDA - called at 9, currently at 11.25
NTRI - called at 41.25, currently at 55.69
DIVX - called at 19.70 and 18.30, after hours at 23.50 - 24
SYK - called at 63.35, now at 68.49
HP - called at 23, now at 31

My next two favorite stocks to pop within the year are VRNT and MPEL. MPEL is the riskiest but I'm ready to stay long for several years on that one. I think that VRNT will pop after it gets listed again and reports a decent quarter.

My worst stocks were MSFT, TM and some small cap Canadian stocks. These might do well in the long term but are not great trades right now until some catalyst comes along.

Overall, I'm up 9% this year, heavily weighted on DIVX, HP and VRNT, while the S&P 500 is up .06% during the same period. I'm not sure if I can keep this up but I'm loving it so far. Almost all of the companies (except MPEL) have existing stable business and my buys have been based on unfair market punishment that was out of whack with basic fundamentals (PE, PEG, etc.).

Having said that, I spend at least 20-30 hours a week at this and have the luxury of being able
to spend 5-10 hours a week researching during work hours because I'm the boss and I spend 12hrs a day at work with much of my time spent waiting for other people.

My recommendation to anybody reading this and salivating over all the money that they can make is to make sure that you love it, that you take the time to understand the fundamentals of valuations, that you spend time practicing (I practiced it for 4 years) and lastly make sure that you have the ongoing time to commit to it.

If you don't know what you're doing, you're just another chump taking stock tips who'll lose all your money while the smart guys are whipping in and out without telling you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good solid advice.