Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Moldy Oldies

I always related motorcycles to being young and being free. This past year it really dawned on me that in reality, motorcyclists seem to be a lot older than I'd thought. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it definitely does make things different. This past weekend, I ran into dozens of fellow bikers on the highway and roadways and for the most part they seem a lot older than me. The irony of this is that I am not exactly a teenager myself. So what's up with that? When I was a pup, pretty much every one of my buddies saved up and bought a ratty bike and went through the irritation of getting a motorcycle license. These days, I run into (younger) people all the time who want to get a harley or a vespa but don't do a damn thing about it. Come to think about it, I don't think that I know more than one or two people in their prime who regularly ride street bikes. For the most part, the bikers are geezers older than I. I guess that's the sad part and what's worse is that all of those biker shows on Discovery and Speed make it worse because they give the impression that you can't be a biker without a hundred grand custom bike. That's bullshit, give me a rat bike any day and that's another day I’ll never regret. If you want a bike, go get it and stop talking about it, you too ladies.

No comments: