Monday, October 17, 2005

The Vista war

I find it amusing to no end that all of the Apple fanboys are calling Windows Vista a ripoff of OSX when OSX is a rip off of Be, Suse Linux, KDE and Solaris. Don't the fanboys remember that the Mac itself was a cheap knockoff of the legendary Xerox Parc UI's that came before it?

Personally I don't give a crap who ripped who off. I just like the freedom of choice that commodity hardware (x86) gives me.

On another tangent, I installed a bunch of 7 day programmable thermostats at my country place and damn are they ever convenient. I don't have to get there and freeze for a couple of hours while the place warms up anymore. Highly recommended. A word of caution though - they are 240V and high amperage so don't screw around with them if you don't know what you're doing. You can most definately die if you mess up. You can get a 7 day timer (2 wire) for about 40 bucks at Canadian Tire and a 4 wire version at Reno Depot for $40.

I've got an X10 automation kit but unfortunately the X10 thermostat controllers are either too expensive or total crap so I can't use them yet.

No comments: