Monday, October 04, 2004

Focus

I saw one of those cheezy motivational posters a while ago that said something like "obstacles are the things that you see when you lose focus of your goals". Yeah whatever, that seemed like another one of those things that makes sense for like 10 seconds and then disappears. That's what I thought until this past weekend. I crashed my motocross into a small boulder, endo'd over the handlebars into a pile of boulders and rocks. I guess the rain and storms exposed a few more rocks than I am used to making the ride a little sketchier. Anyways, the point is that I had an 8 foot wide trail with a 10 inch boulder in the middle and by getting fixated on the rock, I went straight for it and crashed instead of picking any one of a million other lines. Then that cheezy motivational poster made sense, look where you want to go and not just at the stuff in the way. I've read that in business books, seen it in posters, learnt it in motorcycle school, read it in motocross technique books and finally lived it up close and personal. Makes some sense now that I've kissed the rocks. BTW: I'm fine, just a bit sore but I broke my brake lever and banged up the bike a bit. So take my word for it, keep your vision on the long term because if you lock in on some minor crap in front of you, you will likely slam right into it.

On a different note, the Laurentians are spectacular right now - go check it out, there's tons of stuff to do up there and the scenery is brilliant. Shut off your TV, get off your couch and check it out dude.

And finally, there actually is a bluetooth motorcycle helmet on the market but unfortunately it isn't a fullface. So that's 2 out of 12 things on my list that are taken care of.

No comments: